From Netflix originals to moving dramas to wretched horror, ’18 did well to provide us with a great cinematic experience. My 10 favorite of the year (in no order )and given the holiday season is here, an extended list of the ones who flew over cuckoo’s nest.
- First Reformed : Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Paul Schrader roars louder with First Reformed. Brilliance!
- Upgrade: Puts Black Mirror to Shame. Thrilling to the end.
- American Animals : Unique, imaginative and an intense moving experience.
- Hereditary: Remember spooky twins from “The Shining”? The fear and anxiety takes a step further here. Riveting!
- BlacKkKlansman: Spike Lee’s master political take. Brutal, funny, gripping.
- A Star is Born: Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut. Nostalgic, colorful, joyous and magical!
- Bohemian Rhapsody: An experience that lingers. Breathtakingly beautiful!
- Isle of Dogs: The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom and now Isle of Dogs! A Wes Anderson Classic not to miss!
- Shoplifters (Foreign): Sometimes water can be thicker than blood and you’ll know. An unforgettable experience.
- Leave No Trace: Poignant, engaging and a moving Drama.
The Insult, First Man, The Other Side of the Wind (Orsan Welles), Black Panther , Loveless, Love: Simon, Foxtrot, The Death Of Stalin , Ready Player One , The Rider, Avengers, Eight Grade, Puzzle (Irfan Khan), Searching, The Old Man & the Gun, First Man, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Lazzaro felice, Three Identical Strangers, Mid90s.
Mukkabaaz, Andha-Dhun, Manto, Stree, Manmarziya, Omerta, Raazi.